Monday, November 08, 2010

Bad Mom

Since I am currently under-employed, I've been spending quite a bit of time hanging out with and tending my nieces and nephews. Last week I spent a few days staying with my brother's kids while he and his wife went on a little trip. The first night I was there my dad came over after the kids were in bed so I could go to the election party downtown. Since I didn't get back that night until about 2am, I was a little tired the next morning. I was so tired that I woke up to the sound of my 8 year old niece closing the front door as she was LEAVING for school. I got up and went downstairs to find her two little brothers eating oatmeal for breakfast. OOPS! I'm not sure if it's scarier that she's that on top of things or that I'm that lazy. When she got home from school she said, "Missy, it's okay if you want to sleep-in tomorrow because I had everything under control this morning." At that point I figured I might as well just leave as it was pretty clear she had things under control without me.


Later that day we visited Lyla and she was OBSESSED with licking Miles' face. If he turned away from her she would go crazy barking and whining at him. So he sat there for probably 10 minutes letting her lick his face. My mom and I just sat there cracking up. When we left he said, "Missy, Lyla licked my face like 100 times!" The moral of the story is... you should all hurry and plan your next vacation so I can tend your kids and teach them how to be self-sufficient and how to not be afraid of dogs licking their faces. Believe me, you'll thank me later. I'm pretty sure my kids are going to be making their own food at age two while I sit on the couch with Lyla catching up my reality tv. That just feels right to me.

4 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

At least he had the good sense to put his helmet on before the licking began. Smart kid.

Andrea said...

Perhaps I should hire Olivia to babysit you?

mary said...

LOL at the reality TV line. I think that sums up things around our house. Park makes eggo's for himself and miles when I forget to feed them and I leave all snacks and a pair of scissors on the low shelves in the pantry.

loving all the fun posts and following your life in SL

MishMyBelle said...

Miles is so OLD! I can't believe how big he is. Such a cute boy!