Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veterans Day

There are few people whose life I look up to more than my Grandpa Huber's. If you've ever heard me talk about him, you know how amazing I think he is. He's a hard worker and applied that to his work life and to his many hobbies. He was a successful business man, but has always made time to do the things he loved. He was an avid gardener, rancher, outdoors man, boater, card player (not gambler), cook, and lover of animals. I was lucky enough to live close to him growing up so I grew to appreciate many of the things he loved. In the summers I spent hours working in the big garden with him, driving with him and my grandma to and from Price and Wyoming, and swimming with him at the Deseret Gym. On Sundays after he cooked a feast we would always get in a good game of cards with some Cherry Coke. When I got older and Peter and I were the only kids around we got to go out to dinner every week with the adults and grandpa always encourged us to order whatever we wanted. When I recently went home, we went out to dinner, and I was late. My said that he insisted on ordering the crab legs for me because he still remembers that it's my favorite. He always remember little things like that about all of his grandchildren, and I know they all feel loved in an individual way because of it.

Without my grandpa, I wouldn't have such fond memories of camping in southern Utah every Easter, or riding horses, and Lyla definitely wouldn't be sitting on my lap right now. My grandpa has a rough exterior, but is the most generous person I have ever known. It seems there is nothing that brings him more joy than sharing what he has with others. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a pretty big gift from him that I get to wear on my finger so I am constantly reminded of what an amazing love story he had with my grandma.

My grandpa put up with a lot, especially from his daughters, but he also knew how to have fun. I love that about him. I love hearing stories from my mom and aunts about grandpa pulling up with a new car unexpectedly, or deciding to put a swimming pool in, or forcing them to water ski, or driving the RV across the country just for fun, or bringing new animals home... the list goes on and on. It seems that somehow he found a way to have the perfect balance of work and play and service while ensuring that everyone felt loved along the way.

When I think about how much time I've been blessed to spend with him over the years, I feel overwhelmed and grateful for the personal relationship I have with him and all of the fun memories we've had over the years. I feel so lucky to have been blessed to have him as a grandpa.

Yesterday this amazing man was one of 11 veterans honored at the University of Utah for his service in World War 2. I wish I could have been there. I heard it was a great celebration and one he was excited about even at the age of 94. You can read about his service here, and watch a clip from the celebration here. He's the second Veteran they talk about.

Congratulations, Grandpa. I'm so proud of you.

7 comments:

Josh said...

What a nice tribute to your grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man. Reading his service record was facinating.

Davis Bell said...

"Huber single-handedly manned a mountaintop observation post. Disregarding enemy shells raining down around him, he directed U.S. artillery on Nazi positions. For his gallantry, he was awarded the Silver Star."

Geez.

Andrea W. said...

I loved reading this post. What an incredible guy. I love those photos of him, what a handsome YOUNG man. It amazes me how young these guys are that defend our country and have to be so courageous.

nici said...

He is such a sweetheart. Liked this post.

Jo said...

Melissa, that was beautiful! Your Grandpa sounds like a truly great man, and your love and appreciation for him is so sweet. We do owe so much to these very tough guys who really saved the world.

Nat Attack said...

so handsome!

slink said...

Best post ever!!