Friday, September 25, 2009

"It's a Life Changing Experience"

I grew up on U2. My older brother, Spencer, always had their albums around, and you know I was always stealing them, but I didn't really FALL IN LOVE until I saw them for the first time during the Elevation Tour on 11/9/2001 in the Delta Center (which is what I continue to refer to it as, thank you very much). It was right after 9/11, and I was just blown away by how emotional the show was. I'd been to a lot of concerts, but none like that, and I didn't really understand how a band could make a whole stadium feel so intimate. I cried during "One," and I haven't looked back since.
I then saw them three times during the Vertigo Tour and every time was an event.. making shirts, watching concert DVD's for weeks before, memorizing Bonos' hip thrusts, and talking and talking and talking about it, but I think the highlight of that tour was on 4/15/05 in Arizona when the ENTIRE stadium sang "How long.. to sing this song..." over and over again the entire way to their cars.... Words can't explain, words canNOT explain.

On 12/17/05, while walking to my third show of the Vertigo tour at the Delta Center (the night after I saw Neil Diamond for the first time, thanks Davey, sorry, Nici) I was screaming "U2!! U2!!" while waving my arms around like a freak bomb, and a newsman asked me (on film) to describe seeing U2 live, and I responded, "It's a life changing experience!" Dorry worry, later that night my phone was flooded with texts of people who saw me on the news. What can you do, I'm just famous like that.

I guess you could say, I consider myself a pretty big fan, and if you get me talking about the music or how sexy Bono is... I have a hard time stopping. So, I've been excited to go to another show since 2005! Last night that waiting ended, and Davis and I headed out to the Meadowlands for the show.... It was his first time so I was pretty excited for him to experience the goodness that is a live show... We drove Scootsies out, which was the best decision of the night (good job, Davis. Don't worry mom, driving around on the freeway on Scootsies isn't an dangerous as it sounds). Once we navigated through traffic and parked illegally we headed in for a bit of Muse... I like Muse, but I wasn't really feeling it that much last night, sorry. Maybe I was just too excited for my boyfriend to come out.

Now that it's over, how do I feel about it?? I LOVED it, of course, BUT comparing it to other times, I didn't love it QUITE as much. Here's why.. 1. We were in Giants Stadium (there were a record breaking 82,000 people in attendance), and I just felt like some of Bono's energy was escaping through the roof. I think for U2, I prefer a closed roof, although, the fact that I wasn't sweating my brains out from jumping around so much was a benefit of the open air. 2. I tried to enjoy the new songs, and some of them were better live, but it just wasn't the same as it was the times before when I stood up the ENTIRE time and sang EVERY word (BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm the most annoying person in the world to sit next to at shows like this). There was actually a lot of energy for "Get on Your Boots," ( I could see this being the only song they play from this album on future tours), and I enjoyed "Moment of Surrender," but I don't think it was a good choice for a closing song... It definitely didn't compare to "40."
So that was the bad.. And the good... the stage was over the top and awesome, as usual, even though I still like the stage from Elevation the best. Bono was in his usual form... getting the crowd into it, creating emotional responses, and just being his SEXY SEXY self. And the oldies were definitely still goodies. The video of Desmond Tutu before "One," gave me chills. I love the way the band is able to encourage activism and change... It was pretty uplifting. (All of you who think Bono is annoying, stop thinking that, just stop it.) I could tell those in attendance took it to heart when the lady walking out in front of us kept yelling at everyone to "Shut the F!*& up!" That's how it's done in Jersey, folks. Song highlights for me... "Ultra Violet," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," "Stay," and "With or Without You," I'd never seen that one live before, and the whole crowd sang every word. I loved it. I could probably add a few more favorites to this list, but then it would be almost every song, so I'll leave it at that with this sexy old one of Bono.

Stop thinking you're so cool because you hate U2, and just face the facts that they rock, and you can like them and indie rock at the same time.

8 comments:

nici said...

I hate people that hate U2. Boo ya.

David said...

Memorizing hip thrusts... good times! I also remember watching rattle & hum 4 times one night while you worked on some nitting thing for christmas. So glad they are playing ultraviolet. Doesn't get any better!

Maeve said...

so i was totally at the 2001 elevation tour delta center stop! it fell on my 18 birthday and it was the best birthday to date!! it was a spiritual experience and i cried more than once. how fun that you got to see them yet again.

p.s. we love our puppy. he smells. he slobbers. i am up to mopping the floors once a day. but, we LOVE him!

slink said...

U2 = Decent Band. But let's be honest, they aren't the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, etc. I appreciate the activism, I just don't love their music.

Macy said...

sounds amazing! That stadium is huge. I heard the Vegas one is going to be awesome just for the fact that it is going to be a much smaller stadium. I can't believe how much tickets are for Vegas right now though. Crazy!

I am not super duper into the new album, although I like it, but the fact that they are playing from Unforgettable fire makes me want to see this show so much. I love that album.

Ashley said...

I was at the 11/9/2001 concert at the Delta Center too!

Kent and Shan said...

you lucky girl

Breona said...

Mel's bells. You are hilarious! Love your enthusiasm and details about the whole ordeal! You have got a LOT of concerts under that belt! Sounds like it was a fabulous time! what a crowd!