Saturday, May 16, 2009

"We Close Our Eyes"

We close our eyes, and the world has turned around again………..”

So for some reason when it starts getting warm I can’t stop singing that freaking song. Nici and I were talking about how we used to scream that song out over and over the other day, and she reminded me of a funny time. Five years ago (I can’t believe it’s been that long), but FIVE years ago Nici and I were counselors at a summer camp in Maine for rich kids from NYC.

Here's a pic of us in the White Mountains from that summer...
Our job was to take the girls hiking and camping around New England. To transport the kids we had these HUGE 15 passenger vans. For some reason, they trusted me to drive the kids and sometimes we got a little crazy on our drives. We always wanted to have fun on the drives so when Nici and I were in charge we’d blast the music and sing along. One day we were cruising along this curvy two lane highway in New Hampshire, and we were listening to Oingo Boingo and singing our hearts out. When we got to our destination one of the girls pulled Nici aside and said, “Nici, I don’t think Melissa should be driving and singing like it. It scares me.” (I’m not sure if the sound of my voice scared her more, or my driving skills but either way I guess I was freaking her out.) First of all, I think something is wrong when the 10 year old camper is afraid of her counselor. Second of all, this girl happened to have a REALLY bad lisp and everything she said was the funniest thing ever…. AH… it was especially funny when Nici walked in on her in the outhouse accidentally and she started screaming in the lisp.. Good times, good times…

2 comments:

nici said...

That little girl was so scared. hahhah.. good times!

David said...

They seriously let you drive a 15 passenger van?

Nici had an embarassing bathroom moment? where have i heard that before?