Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"That's What He Said"

Some of you have been asking me how we got engaged. I'm resorting to posting what Davis wrote on his blog about the night, enjoy...

On the evening of January 11, 2007, I left my apartment and took a cab to 601 W. 112th St. As I entered the building I felt the butterflies in my stomach turn into hummingbirds. Angry, carnivorous hummingbirds. As I drew near the elevator, I sent Ron a text, saying something along the lines of, "Meow meow I'm scared meow meow." He replied shortly with words of encouragement. I exited the elevator on the 5th floor and found apartment 5C. I took a deep breath and pressed the old-fashioned doorbell.

The hummingbirds in my stomach transformed into wolverines. I waited. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. I put my hands in my pockets and took them back out. I checked my phone once again to make sure I was at the right apartment.* No movement behind the door. I paused a few long seconds more, and then rang the doorbell again. This time the response was fairly immediate. The door opened, and there stood my date. She looked beautiful, and maybe a little less than thrilled to be going on a date with me. We exchanged pleasantries, and set out for dinner.

A great deal has occurred in our lives since that nerve-wracking night. Melissa finished her Master's degree and got a job at the CAS. I jumped from BS to MS. Melissa moved from 112th Street to 105th Street to 78th Street and to Elizabeth Street. Melissa lost her Grandmother Huber and I lost both of my grandfathers. My family received the new additions of Belle and Molly, while Melissa's family welcomed William and Emerson. Ron changed his entire wardrobe from "Recently Returned Missionary" to "Wannabe Hipster."

During these two years we've spent the vast majority of our free time together. We scooted around the city in all four seasons. We enjoyed many a beautiful day at Central Park. We spent nearly every summer Saturday at the beach. We rode the bike and the longboards around Riverside Park. We enjoyed amazing meals at Patsy's, Bubby's, the Shake Shack, the Metro Diner, Ruby Foo's, Grimaldi's, Cheesecake Factory, Cafe Havana, Ocean Grill, Isabella's, Tokyo Pop, Odeon, Serendipity and the Little Owl, among others.

We went to some great concerts, including Rilo Kiley, the Police, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Robert Plant and Allison Krause, Wilco, Vampire Weekend, and Conor Oberst. We saw A Chorus Line, Company, Pygmalion, Legally Blonde, the Messiah at Carnegie Hall, and the ballet. We went to see the Yankees play and enjoyed the U.S. Open several times. We watched and (cried during), Friday Night Lights, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, The Bachelor, Gossip Girl, SNL, Murder Mystery, and The Hills. We battled mice and birds.

We spent countless hours with Ron, Ali, the Romneys, the Combs, and the Moes. We took trips with friends to the lake in New Hampshire, Wyoming, Vegas, the Hamptons, and Utah (a few times). We hosted plenty of friends and family: from Melissa's side, Matt and Annie, Rulon and Pinkie, Peter and Tia, John, Christina, Dave and Christine, and CeCe; from my side, Braden, Brennan and Andrea, Chris and Rebecca, and Josh and Eliza; visiting friends have included Chris and Amy, Jon, Finn Dog, and Troy and Melissa.

Melissa has been a trouper in many, many ways. She's spent countless nights waiting around for me to get home from work. She's dealt with me being too tired to do anything but order in and watch TV. And beyond all of that, she's shown tremendous patience and commitment in helping me deal with my own particular brand of craziness when she would have been entirely justified in walking away. I'm so very glad she didn't.

I'm not sure exactly when it occurred, but in the past few months we decided to get married. Her strong preference was to get engaged before we went home for Christmas. Her mom, Pinkie, was gracious enough to give us Melissa's grandmother's ring, which Melissa had admired as a little girl. Providentially, Finn Dog was scheduled to come out and stay with me for a few days, so I had him bring the ring with him. Even more providentially, he didn't lose it. As the day of our departure for Utah grew closer, I could tell Melissa was getting concerned that I wasn't going to come through.

On our last night in New York, we made (fake) plans to go out to eat with Ali. I could feel Melissa's mood darken as she became certain that I wasn't going to propose before leaving for Utah. I told her that before dinner we needed to pick up a book from one of Craig's classmates. "Craig's classmate" happened to live in the building where Melissa lived when I picked her up for our first date. We took together the same route to her old apartment that I had taken alone nearly two years ago. As we came up to the door of 5C, I got down on my knee and asked her to marry me.** She said yes. And so our courtship ended at the exact spot where it began.

After calling our families we headed to dinner at Balthazar, which is where we went on our first date. Finally, we met up with Ron, Ali, and the Combs at Serendipity for a little celebration.





We're getting married on April 3rd in the Salt Lake temple. I couldn't be happier.

* After we got engaged, as we were reminiscing about our first date, Melissa confessed that she was standing at the door the entire time, watching me through the peephole as I died a slow and painful death at the doorstep. I promptly broke off the engagement.

** In case you were wondering, yes, I proposed in a whisper, though I didn't say "Don't not marry me."

6 comments:

Family Bio said...

that melts my heart mel... you found a good one...

MishMyBelle said...

I can't wait until April 3!!!!!!!!!!! SLC here I come!!!

wirthy to blog said...

confession - i may have teared up reading this. couldn't be happier for you two.

Annie said...

Love it! I"m just so excited and happy for the both of you! Can't wait for the big day, holla.

lins.e said...

wait this april 3rd, like 2009. eye- curumba mel that seems sooon. Well the sooner the better, eh? Can't wait to see you, you better invite me to the weddin!!!

superior said...

It seems different countries, different cultures, we really can decide things in the same understanding of the difference!
nike shoes