Tuesday, December 02, 2008

"Southern Cross"

So we got back to the mother-land yesterday...
There was a little post-trip stress when I missed my connection in Atlanta. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown when I heard people talking about being stuck at the airport for two days, luckily, I made a little friend at the ticket counter, and he gave me a first class ticket on the next flight out of there! Other than that, everything pretty much went perfectly, and we made it out alive. Holla!


Here are some pics of the last week of my life... It was amazing.

The boots that got me over those 14,000 foot peaks...

The view from 14,000 foot peaks...

These little guys were running all over the place...

Some more views...


My mom was insistent that I take lots of flower pics...

Here's another from the order of Pinkie...

Fancy rice for energy....

After four days of hiking we finally made it... You have not idea how good this view felt...
Machu Pichu...

More of MP....

And some more...

The train that took us back...


I couldn't resist one of this little guy... I wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home...


When our guide was telling us about churches, the Mormon church was one of the first he mentioned. I asked him if he sees the missionaries, and he said, "You mean the elders?" He went on for a minute about them. I was blown away that there are SIX LDS churches in Cusco. Crazy, right? This one was super nice, and we happened to walk by right when church was getting out. It was fun to chat with a couple of the members.



Cusco streets..

Cusco churches...


Cute guy on the bench...

More of the bench...



I couldn't get over this little girl. She was practicing her English with us while we sat on that bench. She said, "Where are you from?" We responded, "The USA," and she said, "Obama is very good, Bush is very bad." It was kind of crazy how many people were into Obama down there, but back to this little cutie.. I can't get over her.
Don't you worry... There will be more pics to come!

10 comments:

MishMyBelle said...

WOW!! These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! What a great accomplishment Mel. I am so impressed with Pinkie! I hope I can be in shape like that when I'm a mom. I want more pics!! Glad you had a wonderful trip.

Kristan said...

What a trip! Congrats on making it. I can't wait to see more pictures!

wirthy to blog said...

i am so so jealous melissa. can you please take me along on your next adventure?

Nerak said...

Great pics! ... big camera?

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

nici said...

Nice pics baby fat!

Breona said...

Mel, you are a great photographer! That machu pichu is amazing! I love the architecture and that green grass. Congrats! I'm excited to see more pics!

Andrea W. said...

What amazing pictures. Sounds like such an adventure, glad you made it back alive and well.

lins.e said...

I don't know where that is mel, but it looks soooooooo pretty. You are a little butthole going on all these adventures, I would be excited to stay in a hotel down the street from my house... no kids that is. So uh... when did you become a photographer? Good job!!! miss ya seesta

Annie said...

Amazing! I'm so jealous of your trip to MP. You're becoming quite the photographer, I was really impressed with all your pics. What a beautiful place. When are you coming home? I want to see you this time.

Jen H. said...

My dad served a mission in Cuzco in the mid-'60s. He would be so happy to hear of all the LDS congregations there.