Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Ki-Yi"

After much prayer, contemplation, and tears I decided not to go home for the Holy War this year. Flights from NYC to SLC to NYC to Peru to NYC were just a little too much for me for a football game, so we watched at the ESPN Zone in Times Square. It's not the best way to watch a football game, attending last year's game was pretty fun (besides the ending), but what can you do? Every year during this week I get asked the same question over and over again, "Why are you wearing red?"



Nobody can quite understand it, so I thought I'd do my best to explain. I was raised cheering for the U, especially for the Holy War. It's just what we did. When I went to BYU, I had fun at numerous sporting events and occasionally cheered for BYU, but for the big game, I continued to cheer for the U. The first rivalry game after my graduation from BYU everyone kept asking me what color I was going to wear to the game. I, of course, planned on wearing red. Everyone found this so ridiculous as I had just, three months earlier, graduated from BYU. That year, I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life, caved to the peer-pressure, and wore blue. I felt awful during the entire game. When the U scored, my natural inclination was to cheer, when BYU scored I was sad, but I was wearing the wrong color, so what was I going to do? I basically sat there the entire game (if you've been to a sporting event with me, you know that me sitting there quietly is not normal) torn because my outsides didn't match my insides. The U ended up winning that game, and I was so happy, but I couldn't be part of the celebration because I was wearing stupid blue. So, my entire life I've worn red except for once, and on that day I deeply regretted it. Ever since then, I've stayed true to my roots even though some people find this hard to understand. So there you have it... I just like the U, I like to win, and I like to going to BCS Bowls, which I guess would be pretty hard to do if I did cheer for BYU! Here's the New Years in New Orleans... Holla!

2 comments:

David said...

I will never give you crap again for wearing blue that day mail. You have redeemed yourself. NEW ORLEANS!!!

MishMyBelle said...

Oh, Mel. Although I have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't cheer for your Alma Mater, I do respect you and your love for the U. I extend my congratulations to your hawks.