Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Hometown Glory"

Working for a nonprofit has a few benefits (FEW is the key word here). Okay, okay.. maybe the ONLY benefit of working for a nonprofit is lots and lots of time off. Because of all of that time off I get to go home A LOT. It seems that whenever I go home for a random weekend the alarms go off and everyone starts speculating what is going on.. Is she having a nervous breakdown? Did she quit her job? Did Davis finally dump her? bla, bla, bla.. Their speculations are never correct. I always go home because I JUST LOVE TO BE HOME.

Ever since I graduated from high school I've been torn between loving being home and loving to see and experience new places. I had the perfect balance all through college of living in Utah and going off on fun adventures for the summer. Once the summers ended, I was always ready to get back to life in Utah, and once the school year was over, I was always ready to head off on another adventure.

This all started when Linds and I had the crazy idea to go to Ecuador for five months. I can remember the first time I mentioned it to my mom, and she just went along with it because she thought that it never would really happen. However, Linds and I were determined, and we made it happen.

The next summer Linds, Linds, Katie, Shan and I headed off to Costa Rica for a study abroad... Again, I told my mom we were applying to go and she just said, "that sounds like fun," with a little smile on her face. I know she thought I was talking crazy and would never pull it off, but we all just made our little plans and made it happen.

The summer after CR, I had my first east coast experience with Nici. We spent the summer as camp counselors, hiking around the White Mountains, hanging out in Maine and New Hampshire.

You'd think after three successful summers out of Utah my mom would have learned that when I say I'm going to do something, I DO IT, but the next summer when I said that Michele and I were going to intern in DC, I could tell the same thoughts were running through her head, "Alright honey, you just go and apply, and we'll see what happens." The next thing she knew... We were buying my first round of business casual at BR for my big internship in DC.

I'm sure she thought that once I graduated, was all settled in my cute house in Sugar House, with good friends, the adventures would end, but then grad school came up, and I was as determined as ever to get out of Utah again. So, Michele and I packed our bags again for another east coast adventure in NYC.

Then graduation came, and I couldn't waste my last summer of freedom without another adventure.. so I joined Nici and Krista for their adventures in Africa.

It's crazy too because looking back , I can see how each of these summers shaped what I did next. They were definitely life changing experiences. These little adventures mixed with college life, living with best friends, staying up late watching TV, sleeping in, missing class, dance parties, shopping, bla, bla, bla have created a lifetime of fun memories and friendships that I hope will never end. All of this has made this time of my life so amazing.

That being said, I never thought I'd stay in NYC as long as I have, and as much as I enjoy being here, what keeps me happy and sane are my little trips back to Utah. I just love being HOME, with good friends, the kids, and my family. Some trips to Utah are packed with seeing as many people as I possibly can, mini-camping trips, road trips, and other goodies, and some are packed with seeing nobody, hanging out with Nici and my mom, and playing games with Rocco on my lap. Either way, I love it, and I wouldn't get through being away from home if I couldn't go back so often.

Last weekend was definitely an easy going trip. My mom took a day off work and we ran a bunch of errands to get ready for our up coming death march to MP. I lost Ticket to Ride twice. I played with my kids, and stayed up late chatting with Nici. Oh yeah, and my mom made me an AMAZING Sunday dinner as she always does. I have to say, it tops Patsy's, my NYC substitute.

While I was home, the kids were talking about their Halloween costumes so my mom and I dug through her storage room to find some of our old Halloween costumes. If you don't already know, Pinkie is a PROFESSIONAL seamstress, and when we were young she made all of our costumes. Here are just a couple of her creations...

Spiderman.. Complete with a professional hat...


Dracula.. Complete with a vest and tie... Doesn't O make the perfect vampire since she's been losing all of her teeth? She was cracking me right up.

It was a lot of fun seeing the kids dressed up in our old costumes. The pictures definitely don't do them justice. She also made cookie monster, Batman, Superman, a pirate, and a witch!! Were we spoiled or what?? Good times in Utah, I can't wait to go back home at Christmas!

9 comments:

Andrea said...

you live a blessed life, do you not? love the stoic/camera shy spiderman photo...

lins.e said...

so whats next miss mel... you should probably just get married and come home, your starting to get old!!!

MishMyBelle said...

I am so glad you had the opportunity to go home! You really have had quite the life. I am so glad I get to spend multiple summers with you :)

What's it going to be next summer?!?

Annie said...

Sad...I didn't get to see you. I guess I'm not at the top of your priority list. Boo. Well it sounds like you had a nice trip. I love living vicariously through all your adventures!

nici said...

thanksgiving? not giving up on this one.

Breona said...

Those are quite the summer adventures! Your kids will love to hear all the stories! Where do you plan to live next? Maybe West coast now?

Tia said...

Can't wait for the next adventure...4 weeks to go!

Family Bio said...

k mel... so I just read Tias message.. Where is meli headed?

Christina said...

I've seen a picture of Spencer in the SpiderMan costume - you're mom is amazing. As are you. It's so great that you have taken the opportuntiy to travel and enrich your life. You're future children will love hearing your stories! Cannot wait to see you for New Years.