Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Escape"

So, I just finished this book....


and I can't stop thinking about it.
I keep trying to talk to people about it... and as I continue to talk and talk and talk and ramble on and on about the strangeness of the FLDS I can see their faces slowly fading away as they tune out everything I say... I just can't get over it though, and it's driving me CRAZY. Obviously since the raid, polygamy has received a lot of attention, and I've been surprised how many people have asked me about it. I ran into a girl I went to Columbia with shortly after the raid, and she said, "Melissa, you're a Mormon, right? But you don't dress like them..." I guess this book just opened up a world that I've felt so far removed from until I moved out of Utah and everyone thought I was part of it. All I can say is that I'm pretty glad we don't practice polygamy anymore. I'm not sure I could handle it.

No comments: